Friday, July 8, 2011

"Bad" can never be "Good"

I'm a die-hard Mets fan. I love the team to death and would love nothing more than to watch this team win. The current roster does not have the talent to make the playoffs, but as a typical Mets fan, "ya gotta believe." I love watching this team compete every night, knowing they will never just rollover. All season long the Mets have been carried by All-Star shortstop Jose Reyes. He leads the team with hits, batting average, triples, runs, stolen bases, on-base-percentage, and others as well. He's the most exciting player in baseball, and if you don't believe me just watch one of his triples.

Just last week, Reyes left a game against the Yankees due to tightness in his hamstring. He's been riddled with leg injuries throughout his career, causing large concern among the Mets front office and fanbase. In a walk-year, Reyes has displayed how dynamic he can be, but he has also shown that he's only one stride away from a hamstring injury. He has been ruled out of the All-Star game and placed on the DL. He will likely miss at least two more weeks, but that's not why I wrote this post. Mets fans have the nerve to say that this injury could be a blessing in disguise, because his price will be driven down due to his injury history.

Are you serious? So you're happy the face of the franchise is sitting on the bench, aching every single time he steps? Just stop it. These guys put their bodies on the line every single night for our entertainment. Yes they get paid big bucks, but it is stupid to think that the Mets are better off with him being hurt right now. I don't care if the injury occurs to players on the Phillies, Braves, or even the Yankees. This is what I think is wrong with sports today. I love nothing more than passionate fans who live and breathe their favorite teams; however, when you start cheering injuries or wishing harm on people, it just makes me sick. If you want to wish poor play upon someone, then by all means due it, but when athletes are forced out of games, it is often a serious injury.

Booing is fine, but the line should be drawn there. For ecample, Mets catcher Josh Thole created a Twitter account in the offseason, but deleted it after a couple of weeks because he received death threats from people who call themselves Mets fans. The hatred from fans stems to all other sports as well, with many people calling for Lebron James' head. I don't like the guy at all and I constantly ridicule him, but I don't think I have it in me to say that.

Athletes make a ton of money and as fans, we constantly want them to produce. We want our team to win. All the talk about how injuries can benefit a team or how losing would be better for a team, is garbage. You play the game to win and you want to win with your best players. So I beg you, stop all the crap. Be happy that you are able to watch the greatest athletes in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment