Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Championship Picks

Well last week I was pretty awful, going 1 of 4. The Texans played the Ravens tough, but couldn't pull through. Alex Smith and Eli Manning put two elite MVP candidates away in stunning fashion in the NFC, making for a great showdown in San Francisco. The Patriots dismantled the Tebows, I mean Broncos, with a blowout victory. So four teams face off this week to earn a spot in the biggest stage in American sports: the Superbowl.

Ravens at Patriots: The Patriots look to continue their strong play in the past two months against a Ravens defense that still is elite. Joe Flacco must show up this week, because the Patriots secondary is the weakest part of the entire team. Do I trust Flacco? I don't right now, but I do like the way the offensive line controls the game. The Ravens need to keep Brady off the field by running the ball effectively. I like their chances of doing that, but in the end I don't think they have enough firepower to contend with the Patriots. Tom Brady is as battle tested as any quarterback can be and I can see him pulling out a victory in Foxboro in the final minutes. If the Ravens can force a few turnovers they can certainly win this game, but I'm going with the Pats.

Patriots 30, Ravens 20


Giants at 49ers: I keep going back and forth on this game, but the New York Giants are playing the best football in the league. We saw this four years ago, when the Giants upset everybody to the Superbowl. There's a good chance that we see it happen again, but let's give the San Francisco 49ers some credit. Alex Smith changed my perception of him as a quarterback and leader. This game will go down to the wire as these two defenses are playing very well. I never like picking the Giants and nothing has changed, so I won't pick them this week. I have nothing but respect for this team though. So much hate, criticism, Brandon Jacobs' stupid comments, and injuries, however, they will be suiting up in the NFC Championship game. I expect Eli to play well, as he always does in these types of games, but the 49ers defense and maybe rain will slow down that great passing attack.

49ers 31, Giants 28

No comments:

Post a Comment