Monday, May 16, 2011

An Open Letter to Jorge Posada

Dear Jorge Posada,

Let me begin this letter in saying that I am not the Yankees' biggest fan. In fact, in my opinion, the Yankees represent everything that is wrong with modern baseball, but that is another issue for another time. It has recently come to my attention that you aren't happy with the Bronx Bombers either. I guess we have more in common then we both thought!

In all my years of greatly disliking the Yankees, I never once looked at you with disgust. Never once did I watch a World Series game and say, "Man, that Posada guy is a tool. His presence on a baseball diamond really irks me." Nope, I was too busy disliking all of the other characters on the Yankees like that Mariano Rivera guy. Oh, he's a fantastic pitcher, one of the best closers in the history of baseball no doubt. His comment after the World Series in 2009, "I forgot what it felt like to win the World Series!", having just won the Fall Classic 9 years earlier, was undoubtedly met with disgust in the hearts of Cubs, Indians, and Giants fans. Derek Jeter and all of his overrated handsomness, A-Rod and that whole steroids bust that was conveniently swept under the rug, and Roger Clemens with his broken bat throwing and steroid bust that is conven...oh wait, nevermind about that.

Like I was saying, I never hated you. That doesn't mean I liked you, mind you. I just looked at you with indifference. Anytime somebody asked me what I thought of you, I would respond "Meh". I realize you are...er, were...a great catcher. You were part of a great core that led your squad to 4 straight World Series titles. You've had a great career that will undoubtedly go into history as one of the best Yankee's of all time. Congratulations.

But what's this I've been hearing all over the East SPorts Network? You were put 9th in the order, and refused to play. You cited this aggregious act as "disrespectful". You're absolutely right. A player hitting .165 absolutely deserves to a) be in the lineup in the first place and b) at least 5th in the order. Some might say that keeping you in the lineup so high for so long while hitting so poorly was actually showing you respect because of your great history with the Yankees. Not you. Putting you in the lineup in the last spot is a blatant disrespect to who you are. I mean, that's where pitchers hit in the National League! What an outrage.

If I may give you a bit of advice though, Jorge. Play the damn game. You are one of the gifted few to not only make it to the Show, but to have a long, prosperous career. You play for one of the most storied franchises in all of baseball in one of the greatest cities in the world. If your coach puts you in the 9th spot, you smile and take your hacks. There are thousands of players in the world who would love to be "disrespected" like you were a few days ago. This game is a privelage, not a right. Your whining is very unbecoming of a great player on the decline.

Sincerely,
Ryan Irwin

1 comment:

Travis said...

agree about everyone mentioned with the exception of Rivera. Posada should have never been signed to a 4-yr deal after '07. maybe 2 years, max. I blame the new generation of Steinbrenners for this. Posada needs to learn to walk away. his day has come and gone

Post a Comment